Jim Winkle's Personal Home Page
Welcome to Jim Winkle's personal home page.
This contains some of my interests, and a few pictures. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, which wins awards for livability.
E-mail (preferred): JimEventsGalore.net
(you'll need to type this address into your e-mail program because the is a graphic which helps avoid SPAM).
Phone: 2 5 9 - 1 8 1 2
Cell: 3 3 4 - 7 2 5 1
Interests and Activities
- I work at UW-Madison's Division of Information Technology. I have a
home page with
my work schedule (I work 50% time), up-to-the-minute whereabouts, and work contact information.
- I own a company called EventsGalore.net
This helps organizations increase attendance at their events, and helps people find events in which they
have an interest.
- Offers organizations the ability to easily put their calendar of events on the web.
- Allows individuals the ability to subscribe to receive e-mail reminders of an organization's events.
- Biking, especially bike touring.
Here are some nice Southwest Wisconsin bike rides I designed.
This area offers some of the best conditions in the U.S. for bike touring! Also known as the "driftless" area, the topography is interesting, the numerous back roads are lightly travelled, the scenery is spectacular, the downhills are fun, the small towns can be sweet, and there's a fair amount of camping.
New in 2017:
Here's an article about touring bikes to help you choose one.
Don't miss the article about using a double for touring bikes!
I'm working on a weather website which will be helpful for bikers (and other outdoor enthusiasts); this is currently a "draft" (get it?).
Finally, I helped create an urban orchard as a memorial to an experienced biker who died from injuries sustained when she was struck by an inattentive driver.
- Environmental Issues. Climate change is emerging as one of the most important issues of our time.
I give an interactive and fun talk entitled Potent Home Remedies for Climate Change where I cover some or all of the following:
Are you associated with a group (work, neighborhood, church, or friends) that would be interested in hearing this? Contact me (see top of page) and we'll organize a session.
The most effective solutions to climate change (you might be surprised!), and how easy they are to attain without lowering our quality of life.
Several different ways to convert to renewable electricity. All the stars are lined up for going solar today, so I'll definitely cover that.
How to easily use much less electricity.
- In April 2007, we converted to solar and generate 100% of our electricity. I wrote two articles about this.
- We own a tankless water heater which uses less natural gas, has a long lifetime, and is 100% recyclable. I wrote an article about this.
- We've been more-or-less carless since 2014 (my dad's car is parked in our driveway, but I mostly use it to transport him).
- Neighborhood Issues
- In a small team, developed extensive web pages for the
Bay Creek neighborhood.
- Helped start Quann Community Garden, which has about 100 plots in one acre. I love to garden in a community garden setting, and I do occasional workshops (fruit tree pruning, garden security, planting garlic and other late fall activities).
- Participated in the team that came up with
helped people in neighborhoods connect. We launched July 4, 2004, and shut it down five years later because of technical issues. There is still much interest in this idea.
- Past member of Friends of Olin-Turville. This park contains more undisturbed shoreline than any other park in Madison, which makes for great skiing and hiking.
- Food! Hey, who isn't interested in food? I'm interested in (and
still learning about) foodsystems, especially organic, locally produced food to promote
sustainable agriculture for the health of the planet and the people on it.
I was a board member of Community GroundWorks for four years, and one of several
founding members of Madison Fruits and Nuts.
I've been vegetarian since about 1986 and dairy-free since 2012.
- I must be getting old... I've started doing geneology for the Winkle clan.
- I must be getting old... I've started playing bridge. I'm looking to play with people who bid like I do.
Let me know if that's you!
- Contra dancing. Here's the Madison
dance schedule. I help to organize Squirrel Moon, a contra dance weekend.
- Music, listening anyway. I'd love to learn an instrument some day.
- Camping, hiking, windsurfing, cross-country skiing... though there's hardly any time to do these anymore (I need an early retirement :)
- Cancer. Both parents and a sister had cancer.
I've made lots of changes in my life to try to avoid it. Ask me in person if you're interested.
Here are a few photos with my wife Bonnie and daughter Kailee.